Friday, November 13, 2015

Halloween {insert scream here}

Halloween is the artist's holiday. It's a day to be someone you are NOT. It's creative. It's fun, It's creepy and it's whatever you want it to be. Most of my students know how much I love Halloween. I come in dressed up and I encourage my students to do the same. Last year I took our white wedding dress from our Studio 2 observational drawing and made it into a Zombie Bride costume. We are lucky enough to have a state-of-the-art photography studio in our school and our advanced photo students take full advantage of using it! Halloween is the perfect time to shoot images of anyone and everyone dressed in costume. Last year advanced photography student Vincenzo Dimino took these images of me in my costume and a new tradition was born.



Now, with the help of Vincenzo, Ms. Harney and the photography studio, Halloween is brought to a whole new level. This year Vincenzo, Alannah Allen and I decided we would recreate Frida Kahlo's famous painting, The Two Fridas.

The Two Fridas by Frida Kahlo

If you have taken any of my classes, you know that Frida Kahlo is my favorite artist. I have been planning on being Frida for Halloween for some time now. When Alannah, who is one of my honors students volunteered to be the "other" Frida for this project I nearly jumped out of my skin! We spent most of September plotting out our costumes and painted the background on an old sheet. We had the shop teacher cut the plastic heart I bought at the halloween store in half and painted some rope red for the vein that connects the Fridas and BOOM>>> we did it! Vincenzo worked his magic in the studio and this is how it turned out!

photographed by Vincenzo Dimino

Alannah Allen as Frida

Me as Frida


I just wanted to say THANK YOU again to Vincenzo and Alannah for making this project happen! Not only was it FUN to be Frida for a day, but the process was a creative journey. I have decided that every Halloween, we will tackle a new a new artist and recreate an iconic work of art!
Currently taking suggestions....



1 comment:

  1. I loved seeing you and Alannah as the two Fridas! I saw her coming toward me in the hall that day and knew immediately who she was. This is so much fun! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete